We offer the following services:
- Information & Referral Services
- Peer Counseling
- Skills training on topics such as menu planning, accessing public transportation, time management, budgeting and assertiveness
- Advocacy Assistance and Training
- Technical assistance and training in complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Advice and training on the removal of architectural and attitudinal barriers that people with disabilities encounter
- Loaner Adaptive Technology/Equipment such as manual and electric wheelchairs, visual aids and walkers (as available)
- Training to become a peer counselor
- Social/Recreational activities
- Adjustment to disability training group sessions
- Community education on disability related topics
- Weekly support groups
- Computer Lab
REACH of Denton and The Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services-Division for Blind Services offer training for people who are blind or visually impaired.
Services may include:
- Training techniques with low vision aids
- Peer counseling & support groups
- Application assistance with low vision programs
- Mobility training & community resources
- Equipment loaner program including: magnifiers, large button phones, CCTV reading machines, and talking items (as available)
For more information contact: Sarah Stepp at 940-383-1062
Jennifer Stonemeier –Executive Director
Responsible for the overall administration of the REACH organization, including its four projects, the REACH Resource Centers on Independent Living in Fort Worth, Dallas, Denton and Plano.
Position Vacant-Assistant Director
Responsible for assisting the Ex. Director with the day-to-day operation of the Denton center, act as the onsite immediate supervisor for all Denton employees, assist staff with program plans, achievement of goals and problem solve. Coordinate the center’s youth transition program by maintaining a collaborative working relationship with TWS-VRS Transition Counselors, local school districts/high schools and the Region XI Educational Service Center. Coordinate youth support group activities and the annual summer youth camp session. Provide I&R, peer counseling, skills training, etc. as needed.
Sarah Stepp – IL Skills Training
Responsible for providing peer counseling, independent living skills training, advocacy assistance, outreach and public relations, and information and referral. Assisting consumers living with vision loss with adaptive loaner equipment and skills training on the use of adaptive equipment. Also act as Editor of the quarterly REACHing Out newsletter and conduct website updates and maintenance.
Jerra Capuria – Office Manager
Responsible for handling secretarial and clerical duties including telephone answering, filing, data entry, inventory, supply purchasing and office equipment maintenance. Also, to maintain the active and closed consumer service records and databases for the center and provide oversight of proper case management and reporting by staff as well as coordinate the wheelchair equipment loan program.