Forth Worth, Dallas, Denton & Plano Resource Centers on Independent Living

Housing & COVID-19: What You Need to Know

NDI Financial Resilience Center

Housing & COVID-19: What You Need to Know


This newsletter will answer common questions about housing issues during COVID-19, like what to do if you are not able to pay your rent or mortgage.

CDC Issues Sweeping Temporary Halt on Evictions

On September 2, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued an emergency order to help protect an estimated 40 million renters nationwide from threat of eviction until the end of the year.

Am I Eligible?

Those who earn less than $99,000 and couples who earn less than $198,000 annually may be eligible. If you were not required to pay income taxes in 2019, or if you received a CARES Act economic stimulus payment, you could also be eligible.

What do I have to do?

You will need to attest on a declaration that you were unable to afford your rent despite seeking rental assistance and due to substantial loss of household income. You will also need to promise to make partial payments to the best of your ability.

What do I do with my declaration?

You must provide a signed copy of the declaration to your landlord. The CDC has created a template that renters can use which is posted on their website.

Download the Declaration Form.

Will I be relieved of paying rent or penalty fees if I stop paying rent?

Unfortunately, the CDC order does not preclude landlords from charging rent or collecting fees, penalties or interest as a result of a failure to pay rent on a timely basis.

Learn more about the CDC’s emergency order by reading our full summary:

Learn More

Where can I find housing assistance?

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has assistance that may be helpful to you. Additionally, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) and HUD have partnered to launch a mortgage and housing assistance website to help homeowners and renters during the COVID-19 pandemic. Discover housing assistance.


What should I do if I’m having trouble paying my mortgage?

Currently, banks are required to offer flexibility to borrowers who are having trouble paying their mortgage as a result of the COVID-19 crisis. NDI has created a document that offers action steps to help you negotiate with your home mortgage lender: Tips to Negotiate with Your Lender.


What should I do if I have experienced housing discrimination during the COVID-19 pandemic?

People who believe they have experienced housing discrimination may file a complaint of discrimination by contacting HUD’s Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity at (800) 669-9777 or visiting How to File a Complaint on HUD’s website. Materials and assistance are available for those with limited English proficiency. Individuals who are Deaf or hard-of-hearing may contact the Department using the Federal Relay Service at 800-877-8339Learn more.

Discover more housing and COVID-19 resources for people with disabilities by visiting:

Visit the Financial Resilience Center

Get Help from a Certified Financial Professional: 
If you need to speak to someone to help you manage your current financial situation, you can reach out to our partners at AFCPE to connect with a certified financial counselor or coach at no cost to you.

The Financial Resilience Center was developed by National Disability Institute with generous funding from the Wells Fargo Foundation.