To: REACH Colleagues, Supporters, & Potential Job Applicants
From: Charlotte A. Stewart, Executive Director
Needed: A full time Community Living Specialist
at the REACH of Fort Worth Resource Center on Independent Living
Please see the job description for a detailed list of job responsibilities and required knowledge, experience, and skills for this full time position. Salary: $32,000 per year. Benefits: employer paid health, life, and long-term disability insurance.
Interested and qualified job applicants that posses the knowledge, experience, and skills listed on the job description should submit a current resume with a cover letter explaining in detail the knowledge, experience and skills they have to be successful in doing this job. Cover letters and resumes must be received by 5:00PM on Monday, November 27th. Cover letters and resumes should be submitted via e-mail or fax to REACH of Fort Worth Assistant Director Robin Lassiter.
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Type the word RESUME on the subject line.
Fax – 817-877-1622
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
REACH is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People and veterans with disabilities who have the required knowledge, experience, and skills are encouraged to apply. Applicants that are bilingual in English and Spanish and have the required knowledge, experience, and skills are encouraged to apply.
REACH OF FORT WORTH RESOURCE CENTER ON INDEPENDENT LIVING
COMMUNITY LIVING SPECIALIST
To assist interested nursing home residents move into the community, assist with individual and systems advocacy efforts, network/liaison with other organizations, conduct outreach activities and conduct independent living skills training for people with disabilities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
A. Transition Services Duties
1. Advocate for systems changes that will enable people with disabilities to live in the community rather than in an institution
2. Network with local, state, and national groups and organizations advocating for community living options
3. Work in partnership with North Central Texas Council of Governments under a Nursing Home Relocation Services contract
4. Assist nursing home residents plan for and make their move into community living; this may include, but is not limited to, helping gather needed documentation, securing appropriate funding resources to cover rent deposit & utility fees, locating suitable housing, developing community supports, arranging for needed medical, dental, therapeutic, transportation, and prescription services, locating furniture and other household supplies, and assisting with the physical move and set-up of the new home
5. Attend monthly Community Transition Team meetings to participate and contribute in refining the policies and procedures used in transitioning nursing home residents into community living
B. Network/Liaison and Outreach Duties
1. Conduct ongoing outreach activities, i.e., give presentations, participate on various committees and boards to generate referrals and educate the community about REACH services and disability issues
2. Liaison with local groups/organizations in an ongoing effort to reach unserved/underserved people with disabilities
3. Conduct disability awareness/sensitivity training sessions
C. Independent Living Skills Training Duties
1. Develop the curriculum for independent living skills training sessions on various topics
2. Recruit guest presenters to conduct independent living skills training sessions as
3. Conduct and/or coordinate independent living skills training in one-on-one, group and/or
online sessions as needed/requested
D. Miscellaneous Duties
Handle information and referral requests as needed
Advocateor/assist people with disabilities with their self-advocacy efforts
- Cordinate ongoing public relations/marketing activities to promote the programs you coordinate
- Provide peer counseling/counseling assistance as needed/requested
SKILLS & MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
1. Experience/knowledge of the needs of people with disabilities and the independent living movement
2. Experience in providing peer counseling/counseling
3. Experience in curriculum development
4. Teaching skills
5. Effective verbal and written communication skills
6. Experience/knowledge of Microsoft Office software
7. Ability to work with minimal daily supervision
8. Ability to address both small and large groups
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS
1. Ability to handle several projects at one time
2. Ability to work on the telephone and computer for extended periods of time
3. Ability to maneuver around in the community to provide services, participate in meetings, network, conduct public relations/marketing activities, and visit residents living in nursing homes
4. Ability to work some evenings/weekends in order to complete service delivery, attend meetings, exhibit display, etc.
5. Ability to assist nursing home residents with the packing, loading and unloading of their belongings; organizing their new home, shopping for furniture, linens, household goods, groceries, etc.
The Community Living Specialist will report to the REACH of Fort Worth Assistant Director and REACH’s Executive Director.
ROUTINE HOURS: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday-Friday, however some periodic adjustment to routine hours may occur, but will not go over 40 hours per week.
COMPLIANCE REQUIREMENTS: REACH maintains a policy of compliance with the employment
requirements of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act. REACH provides
reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities. REACH is an Equal Opportunity
Employer committed to hiring employees that reflect the diversity of the North Texas community.