REACH, Inc. is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization serving North Texas communities in Dallas, Tarrant, Denton, and Collin Counties. The mission of REACH, Inc. is to empower
people with disabilities to lead self-directed lives and to promote a barrier-free community through public education and advocacy. The organization is governed and staffed by a
majority of people with disabilities who bring a wide range of knowledge and experience to their work in assisting consumers. Each year, approximately 1,000 individuals
participate in the programs and activities of REACH, Inc. Services are financed through a combination of federal, state, local, and private funds.
To assist consumers with their individual advocacy efforts, conduct systems advocacy, provide ADA technical assistance, conduct outreach training, and maintain consumer service records and databases.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
A. Outreach Duties
- Network with local, state, and national organizations on various disability initiatives
- Make presentations on disability rights and independent living movements, center services, ADA, etc. to consumers, representatives from other agencies, civic groups, advocacy coalitions, etc.
- Liaison with local groups to reach unserved/underserved consumers such as African-Americans, Hispanics, and Asian Americans
- Coordinate with the Center’s Outreach & Communications Specialist to support ongoing public relations efforts including preparing and distributing press releases and mailings of promotional material such as brochures & flyers
B. Advocacy Duties
- Advocate for/assist consumers with their self-advocacy efforts
- Coordinate and provide advocacy training in both one-on-one and group sessions as needed
- Educate consumers, co-workers, and board members about legislative initiatives affecting people with disabilities
- Advocate for system changes
- Coordinate with Outreach & Communications Specialists to post current and relevant information about advocacy initiatives on the REACH website, emails, etc.
C. ADA Technical Assistance Duties
- Provide ADA technical assistance and training to consumers, co-workers, representatives from other organizations, the general public, and the business community
- Maintain ADA coordinator certification (REACH will provide initial training)
- Coordinate with Outreach & Communications Specialists to develop/market ADA consulting services.
SKILLS & MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum 3-5 years working in a disability-related field.
- Demonstrated comprehensive knowledge of the Americans with Disabilities Act.ADA certification is not required for hiring but is expected for ongoing employment.
- Experience/knowledge of the issues confronting individuals with disabilities
- Experience in conducting individual and systems advocacy
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to engage and communicate with all types of people and make presentations to both small and large groups
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Office, Google Workplace, etc.
- Experience creating training content and curricula using universal design.
- Self-motivated and self-monitoring in tasks and duties, including managing short-and long-term responsibilities.
- A high degree of cultural competence.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS
- Ability to work some evenings/weekends in order to attend meetings, legislative hearings, community forums, etc.
- Ability to handle several projects at one time
- Ability to work on the telephone and computer for extended periods of time on occasion
- Ability to maneuver in the community to provide services, participate in meetings, network, conduct public relations activities, and survey businesses for ADA compliance
The Advocacy & ADA Specialist will report to the Senior Services Coordinator and Executive Director.
This is a full-time, non-exempt employment position located at our Dallas office (8625 King George Dr. Dallas TX 75235) and is not eligible for remote or hybrid work. This role does require that a candidate have access to reliable transportation and proof of auto insurance in order to travel within our service area.
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
REACH, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals and veterans with disabilities who have the required knowledge, experience, and skills are encouraged to apply. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to Miaka Brown at email@example.com please include “Advocacy and ADA Specialist” in the subject line. Please include accommodation requests in your initial email. If you require additional accommodations, please call 214-630-4796.